Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Step-By-Step Crepe Making

My first foodie conference --the International Association of Culinary Professionals' 33rd annual conference in Austin last week--was intense.

From Wednesday to Saturday, I attended sessions, took notes like crazy, and met people from all over the world. Sessions started as early as 7 a.m. and ended as late as midnight. I saw so many personal kitchen heroes (Dorie Greenspan, Martin Yan, Nancie McDermott and more) and writing heroes (Robb Walsh, Kim Severson)that I SQUEED myself hoarse. So Sunday, instead of rushing home, I took some much needed downtime.

The family and I woke up early and explored downtown Austin. By 8 a.m. we were ready for breakfast, unfortunately Austin is a brunch town. Then we lucked in to Le Cafe Crepe at 200-A San Jacinto, which served a multitude of sweet and savory crepes. Better still, the cafe had a glassed in kitchen. A meal and a show. WooHoo!

The ladies behind the glass worked fast, fingers and crepes flying in a blur. As I watched, my hands itched to grab the camera. But I hesitated. Would whipping out a camera be considered a faux pas?

Then award-winning, globe-trotting photographer Penny De Los Santos spoke in my head. I remembered her sharing the story of a photo shoot in India, where she hunkered down in front of a group of men and waited "until they forgot about the crazy American woman and her camera."

I took a deep breath and decided to be the crazy Asian woman with the camera. Thanks IACP for a great conference!


The ladies working crepe magic at La Cafe Crepe.


Pour the Batter


And spread it out.


Let it cook until light golden


Flip it!


Swirl the chocolate into an artsy pattern.


Fold in half and spread the Nutella. Yum!
And fold again...


And here's the finished product:Chloe's Crepe w/Nutella, strawberries, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.


Here's the inside of what my crepe looked like ~ a feta, spinach, tomato, avocado concotion.


The Cowboy got the Norwegian: smoked salmon, boursin with herbs,tomatoes, capers.


As George, part-owner of the cafe, would say: "Bon Appetit, Y'all!"


The Cowboy & the kids loved their crepe, I had a blast, and --I'd like to think-- the gracious staff of Le Cafe Crepe (once they got used to me and the camera) had fun. Penny was right, celebrate your subjects and they will welcome you with smiles. What an honor to be able to capture the art of crepe making.

1 comment:

  1. That's a pretty big crepe Rashda! I use this recipe version, which is really yummy when paired with Grand Mariner. It's also perfect for beginners because it's simple and includes tips and techniques in making crepes.

    ReplyDelete