Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In Honor of Juneteenth

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press."
~Ida B. Wells


I learned about Ida B. Wells, journalist, suffragist, anti-lynching crusador, brave woman -- I learned about her in my first American history class in college and could forget all that she'd done. When it came to choosing a major, she inspired me to pursue journalism.

Here's the Juneteenth article I did for the San Angelo Standard-Times.

Also, as a person who loves food, I have long known this truth: good food can come from any kitchen. So in honor of all the nameless, talented Black women who cooked and fed generations after generations, who kneaded, breaded and whipped Southern cuisine into shape...I'd like to introduce to a fascinating blog: The Jemima Code.

Remember & reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment