Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All About Beans

So, I loved the San Angelo Standard-Times food section today. For one thing, they created a great package with my stories and pictures. Being a freelancer, I've no editorial input in the headlines, or page design...so I'm uber grateful when every element comes together in a nice package. And I was featured both on the front and the back. And I got color. WooHoo! Yes, pretty excited.

Funny thing about beans, I grew up eating chickpeas as they are pretty popular in Bengali cuisine. However, my Cowboy had never tried them before he met me. Now they are a staple food for him...especially as hummus.

In return, he introduced me to pinto beans. In West Texas, they use the colorful pintos in everything from refried beans to chilis (yes, even real Texans sometimes put some other protein in addition to meat in their chilis).

During our dating period, we explored other cuisines. We tried black beans in Southwestern and Latin dishes, fava beans in Middle Eastern restaurants, and baked beans in Boston, and creamy cannelinis in Italian concoctions. Ah, beany good eats!


Want to know what to do about the gassiness of beans?

Here's the link to my article.


Want a primer on how to cook with beans?

Here's another link. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of beans and I love hummus so I enjoyed your post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting! Is this Brenda? I miss your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it took me awhile, but I made it! Geesh, it HAS been a year! Thanks for these tips and the links. I may finally have the courage to use dry beans now. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you visited Victoria! So see you next year? :)

    ReplyDelete