Happy Halloween everyone! I apologize for lagging behind on foodie posts...but I have my book, THE DJINN'S DILEMMA (Nothing whatsoever to do with food, but the hero is yummy!), coming out from Harlequin tomorrow and that's been keeping me busy. However, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays ever, so I couldn't resist :)
The family had a lot of fun creating this fantabulous pumpkin display :) Then the DH decided to clean the seeds out of the mushy gunk & experiment in the kitchen. So he made three different batches of roasted pumpkin seeds.
Now the basic recipe for home-roasting pumpkin seeds is simple:
2 cups of raw whole pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons melted butter or oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Toss seeds in a bowl with butter/oil and seasoning.
3. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a foil-covered baking sheet (the foil makes cleanup easy). Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Now the DH experimented with different additions (yup, I'm a good influence):
1. He replaced the seasoning with a Cajun spice-blend. This was spicy & yum! My favorite.
2. He added chili powder (the type with cumin in it) & brown sugar to one batch. Kids & he liked it.
3. For the third batch, he added Italian Spice-blend, garlic powder & parmesan cheese. This was the pretties to look at & pretty darn yummy :)
Let me tell you, the entire house smelled divine thanks to this experiment :D
I hope you're having a fun & festive Halloween! Do you have a favorite flavor of roasted pumpkin seed?